Advanced fleet management and effective maintenance planning
- Capacity constraints
- Enhanced safety requirements
- Reduction of ATFM delays and improvement of Target Time of Arrival (TTA) & punctuality
- Environmental dimension: flight efficiency/fuel burn
- Capacity constraints related to infrastructure
- Time efficiency (reducing airport related delays)
- Environment: reduction of noise and of gaseous emissions
Airport challenges: (based on Challenges to Growth)
- In 2003, 30% of current existing capacity was not used (only 70% was effectively needed), however in 2020, 100% use of the existing capacity of the airport network will not be sufficient to accommodate 3.7 million of flights.
- Additional flights can be accommodated at secondary airports and at less favorable hours, which implies a change of traveling patterns for the customers and negatively affects the quality of service.